Wednesday, June 16, 2010

champagne--- the drink of choice

When you are at a restaurant, choosing the right drink to accompany your entree can be an arduous task. Last night I went to a restaurant and it took me twice as long to pick out a drink than it did to pick out what I wanted to eat for dinner. I didn't know if I wanted wine or beer or if I wanted to try a new mixed drink or maybe play it safe with a glass of champagne. The waitress must have stopped at my table at least 5 times asking me "mam have you made a decision yet." Of course on the fifth time she asked me the question I was no where near closer to an answer than I was when she asked me the first time. I was thinking maybe I should get a beer because the Lakers' game is on and then I thought no I don't want to get bloated because it is the summer time and I have to be swim suit ready at all times. So then I thought to myself ok I will get a red wine, because it has antioxidants and red wine is good for your heart, but then I remembered I had just gotten my teeth whitened and I'm too vain to take a chance of the red wine staining my teeth. Finally I thought to myself what would Carrie Bradshaw do--- get a mixed drink. So the waitress brings out the menu of mixed drinks but I didn't have time to go through them all and analyze them so I asked her what she recommended. I could tell by this time she was sick of me so she pointed to the first drink on the list and said that the first one listed is popular. Ordered the drink and of course I hated it. Just like the second installment of Sex and the City the drink sucked. It was this mint grapefruit, ginger beer concoction and it was all wrong. The whole mint alcohol combination was horrific. Sucking on a mint, fine but drinking mint is not really my thing. When it comes to alcohol I am really picky. I don't like the drinks that taste too alcoholy or too sweet I like a combination.


Don't make the same mistake I did. 90% of the time when I go out I order champagne or sparkling wine but last night I decided to change it up and it didn't work out. No matter what champagne I order I never get that yuck taste in my mouth. You know champagne is has that refreshingly bubbly feel, and a bitter sweet taste that is not too strong. It is light and you look classy drinking it. Ok so I know what you are probably thinking, champagne is for mimosas or for the NBA championships, well not anymore. The Merk has this whole underground world of champagne. I mean pink champagne, ferrari champagne, sparkling wine with strawberries in it (Fresita), champagne cocktails (order the perSWAYsion) and a ton more. Check this out, the Sway just got this new luxury champagne called Beau Joie and it comes in a suit of copper armor.


If you are like me and think that the only difference between a 2003 bottle of Cabernet and a 2004 bottle of Cabernet is the year, can't tell the difference between Grey Goose vodka and Kettle 1 vodka, and want to go to a restaurant and order a drink that you can pronounce then order champagne or sparkling wine.





A quick recap of good drinks to order when you eat at the Merk or Sway




  • Fresita- blend of Chilean sparkling wine fused with strawberries from the south of Chile


  • Beau Joie- champagne in a really cool bottle that is made of a combination of pinot noir and chardonnay (coming next week June 25 to Sway at the Moulin Rouge party)


  • perSWAYsion- champagne cocktail that is a combination of Chardon Rose and Peach Schnapps







champagne- your drink looks good, you look good drinking it, and if you drink enough your date will look good

No comments:

Post a Comment